On this episode of Femoir: The Podcast, there’s a lot of discussion of the adventures and pitfalls of being open to the world around you. To your left is a picture of one of my favorite people, Renee Colvert, who I met through just being open to the sillies of this crazy world.
And now, as promised, is a list of ways you can be more open. I promised maybe 10. I’m providing 11. Because I don’t understand limits.
11 Ways to be more Open
1. Say “Hi!” to a stranger
2. Make eye contact with your Barista when you tell them your order
3. Say thank you, [their name] to your cashier.
4. Ask a co-worker how their night was last night. Then actually listen to them without any agenda.
5. Ask someone a question about something they just shared with you. They’ll be shocked you were listening. You’ll be shocked that you’re learning!
6. Compliment a stranger. Click here for some more details on this one.
7. Ask someone you don’t know well to coffee. Accept that it could be uncomfortable. It could also be awesome. You never know. It’s just coffee.
8. Go to that random Facebook event your friend invited you to.
9. Go to a bar, sit by yourself, smile and look around. See what happens.
10. Throw away your to-do list for a day and just say yes to whatever strange things come your way.
11. Uncross your arms when you’re listening to someone. You’ll look and feel more open to whatever they’re saying.